Alentour, a French platform that simplifies the distribution and online booking of leisure tourism activities, reveals the results of the summer season. Priority destinations and activities, and peak sales in August. Its chairman, Timothy de Roux, looks back on a year of work.
Officially launched on September 29, 2021 by the Banque Territoire (French Depository) as part of a tourism recovery plan at the request of the government, the Around platform has always had a clear purpose. Increase awareness and sales of leisure activities and boost the local tourism ecosystem. A few days before the first anniversary, there are already over 10,000 activities in France and over 2,400 distributors sharing the Around catalogue.
We look back on a successful first summer and the partnerships that made it possible.
Since its inception, Surroundings has developed partnerships with key players in the sector to distribute its catalog of activities to the widest possible audience of travelers at all stages of their journey: tourist accommodation, general public online sales platform, institution. Responsible for advertising the territory. Therefore, travelers can find a complete catalog of activities before their stay or after arriving at their destination thanks to Surroundings’ diverse delivery network.
For example, travelers can book activities from the Around Catalog.
- Listed directly on Manawa.com, the leading consumer platform for the online sale of outdoor tourism activities, acquired by Surroundings in May 2022 and offering nearly 5,000 activities in Europe.
- About Veepee, the leader in online event sales in Europe
- The Agence Savoie Mont Blanc and Côte d’Azur France websites have been Surroundings’ original institutional partners.
- By referring to recommendations shared by Accommodations via pre-stay emails, QR codes displayed on the Site, or web integration on their own Sites and/or mobile applications. To date, over 2,400 distributors share the Around Catalog. This is in particular thanks to regional partnerships with strong brands such as Belambra, Gite de France, Pierre & Vacances, Maeva, HostnFly Concierge Service, Contact Hotel Network of Independent Hoteliers and Hotel Group. Oceania Hotels and The Originals, Human Hotels & Resorts.
Across all of these distribution channels, Surroundings amassed over 2 million unique users this summer. , peaked in sales, with one day in August trading volumes surpassing €100,000. In total, tens of thousands of bookings were made over the summer, surpassing the targets set by Surroundings.
Popular outdoor activities
Consumer enthusiasm for outdoor activities amplified by health crisis , is stable in 2022. Manawa.com, Surroundings’ public platform, saw an increase of 54 bookings in France during the period. % in 2022 compared to 2021, and 155 % compared to 2019, the pre-pandemic base year. So, despite concerns about drought and inflation, the French want to escape it and take advantage of online bookings to practice their favorite activities.
Top 5 activities booked in France:
- Snorkeling (snorkeling)
- via ferrata
- boat trip
Top 5 destinations in France with most activity bookings:
- Annecy (paragliding, canyoning, mountain biking, stand-up paddle, hang-gliding, etc.)
- Ardèche (canyoning, bungee jumping, kayaking, via ferrata, caving, etc.)
- Nice (diving, parasailing, canyoning…)
- Verdon Gorge (canyoning, via ferrata, bungee jumping, etc.)
- Corsica (canyoning, hiking…)
Last minute booking trend
Over 60 people this summer % of bookings were made last minute (within 6 days).
The platform is doing well. We have reached our reservation threshold this summer and can now increase and continue to grow. We exceeded the goals we set at launch. We are happy to support the digitalization of more and more activity providers in France. This attracts an increasing number of consumers who want an active and varied stay. We are now accelerating on all fronts with an eye to three main goals: promoting the best the region has to offer; Enhancing player autonomy, delivering unforgettable experiences at the click of a button.away from travelersTimothée de Roux, declares President of Surroundings.
Key Data – Ambient
- +2,400 distributors including institutions such as Agence Savoie Mont Blanc and CRT Côte d’Azur France, brands such as Veepee, Belambra, Gîtes de France, Maeva, Pierre & Vacances, HostnFly, Contact Hotels, Oceania Hotels, The Originals Human Hotels & Resorts.
- 1 Public Website: Manawa.com
- 13 metropolitan areas in France and +10,000 activities bookable on DROM-COM.
- 28 employees.
Alentour is a French local tourism digital platform that facilitates the distribution and booking of leisure activities. The project was initiated by the Banque des Territoires (Caisse des Dépôts Group) in partnership with Amadeus and Dawex at the request of the government as part of a tourism recovery plan. Surroundings are producers of leisure activities and accommodations (hotels, campsites, lodges, inns, bed and breakfasts, tourist housing) and tourism organizations (tourist offices, regional tourism boards, departmental tourism boards). Connect and enable your visitors to instantly book a wide variety of properties. Providing local activities from your smartphone. Around wants to digitize the widest possible catalog of activities and facilitate the digital transformation of SMEs in this sector. These activities are offered to travelers by accommodation and property designators. In the latter case, Surroundings offer an unprecedented technological enhancement of the country’s natural, cultural, sporting, artistic and even gastronomic heritage. In May 2022, Surroundings announced the acquisition of public-facing site Manawa.com. This makes it the first platform in France to distribute outdoor tourism activities.